MAKE AN IMPACT: BECOME A VOLUNTEER
SPECIAL EVENTS & ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT
UCP Heartland hosts events throughout the year, from trivia nights to chicken wing cooking competitions. Volunteers are needed to help with set-up, clean-up, and activities during events. You can also assist with event mailings and administrative tasks at our main office M-F, 8:30a.m.—4:30p.m. Event times and dates vary.
- Sew Fidget Lap Blankets: Create tactile blankets or quilts for program participants to play with by attaching toys, rings, buttons, and other items to a pre-made blanket or a blanket you create from scratch.
- Lesson Leader: Everyone has a skill or interest they can share with others. We’re looking for volunteers willing to share their talents or expertise with participants in our Adult Day Service program by leading lessons and/or interactive activities. As a Lesson Leader, you will plan your own activities and curriculum, and lessons can cover almost any topic, such as those listed below. When planning lessons, look for ways to make them interactive for program participants. Think about ways to engage the senses – can you bring something participants can touch, see, hear, or smell?
- Education: Geography, science, history, language arts
- Business: Talk about your experience in business or key business skills
- Art: Painting, drawing, art history, dance, theater
- Music: History, genres, music around the world
- Literature: Tell a story, read a book, or help participants create their own
- Hobbies: Lead a lesson on something you love – gardening, superheroes, photography
- Saturday Respite Club Assistants: Build relationships with children and youth living with disabilities as a Saturday Respite Club Assistant. Volunteers work with program participants on games, group activities and craft projects while helping them develop social and life skills.
- When: 1st and 3rd Saturdays from 9:00am – 4:00pm (Full day shifts are preferred, but you can also volunteer for shorter shifts)
- Where: UCP Heartland’s Canterbury Center: 8645 Old Bonhomme Road, St. Louis, MO 63132
- Pianists and Other Musicians: Engage with our program participants through music. Bring your own instrument or play the piano at our Adult Day Services program in University City.
- Performances: Do you have a special skill such as storytelling, dance or art? Connect with our program participants by leading an activity or performance. Examples include dance groups, choral groups, art therapists, pet therapists, craft groups, storytellers and other performers. Regular visits welcome!
- Maintenance Support: Assist with projects such as painting, planting flowers, cleaning windows, and hanging art. We ask that volunteers helping with these projects help provide supplies.
Host a third-party fundraiser to benefit UCP Heartland. Examples include hosting a benefit event at a local store or restaurant, organizing a bake sale, or starting an online fundraiser. To get started, contact our Vice President of Development, Mary Hebrank, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 636-779-2269.
Volunteers make an incredible impact at UCP Heartland, and we are excited that you’re interested in volunteering with us! To get started, please download and complete the Volunteer Application and submit it to our Volunteer Coordinator, Carolyn Sullivan, at email@example.com or send it by mail to:
13975 Manchester Rd.
Manchester, MO 63011
*UCP Heartland’s volunteer program is United Way certified and follows national best practices. Since we work with a vulnerable population, volunteers who interact directly with program participants will complete an in-person interview with our Volunteer Coordinator as part of the application process. Program volunteers must also complete special training (provided by UCPH) and be registered with the MO Family Care Safety Registry. There is a one-time $12 registration fee. If you are not already registered, you will need to register online or by mailing your completed Family Registry form to the address listed on the form.
For more information or any questions don’t hesitate to ask. We are happy to help.
Marketing and Volunteer Coordinator